So I’m sitting here at my purple desk, an empty cup of coffee and a yarn bowl on one side, a gargoyle and blue power ranger* on the other and notes, knitting patterns, homework for Child Youngest, bills, a bottle of Liquid Paper and a tube of lip balm (don’t mix those up, kids) and the money rescued from our dryer ($2.11 and one yen) (yes, a yen) stacked up at dangerous angles thinking….ah….this is the life! My book is out. It is on the shelf. I can sit back and relax.
Except, I’m not. What am I doing?
- Checking Amazon numbers a couple times a day. I think I am not as fascinated by Amazon numbers as many authors are. I watch it like I watch other people get tattoos: “Oh, look at the pretty lines and dashes and whatnot.” “Bet that’s gonna hurt tomorrow.”
- Listening to the same song over and over again. It’s wedged in my head. It is a musical brain wedgie. Here, I will share it with you:Mother Mother – The Stand
- Revising MAGIC ON THE LINE. This is book 7 (seven!) of the Allie Beckstrom series. I like this book. That is an unusual thing for me to say in the revision stage. During revisions I usually say, “Die book die! Go back to the land of Mordor and follow me no more!” But for some reason this book feels like it’s hitting on all cylinders, and might actually be like, good. That’s such a rare reading/revision experience for me, I have to admit I’m a little baffled by it all.
- Designing a fingerless glove pattern for a friend. If it turns out half as cool as it looks
scribbled on the back of my revision notesin my mind, it’s going to be just swell! Nay, it may even be neat-o. And if it indeed achieves the echelons of neat-o-ness, I may knit a pair to give away, which would be fun. Writing a blog post.
- Thinking about what book I want to write after I finish the Allie Beckstrom series. We have the green light for nine books in the series. #6, MAGIC ON THE HUNT came out yesterday, #7 MAGIC ON THE LINE comes out in November, and I have two more books to turn in this year. But after that, (well, and a second steampunk book I will also write this year) I am undecided on what project to tackle next.
- Reading two books in hopes to give the authors a blurb soon, sending some paperwork off to my agent, reading over a contract, worrying about how fast I can get the revisions done so I can get back to writing book 8 in the Allie Beckstrom series (because it’s due soon), wondering if I should take a break to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and knit on that pair of gloves I owe as a Christmas present, and um…doodling** .
- Reading Twitter and Facebook and loving the notes from people who are reading/looking forward to reading MAGIC ON THE HUNT. Thank you!!
- Trying to figure out a sneaky way to remind anyone who got to the bottom of this post that, One: Jackie Morse Kessler and I are giving away books and Stone the Gargoyle over on the Deadline Dames, Two: I have been interviewed by Julie at Yummy Men and Kick Ass Chicks and we are giving away copies of books too!
*I don’t know how the Blue Power Ranger got in my house, much less on my desk. Blue is a mysterious Ranger.
**The doodles may involve characters from Ilona Andrew’s books. She may kill me if she ever sees them.